Antrea is a Kubernetes networking solution intended
to be Kubernetes native. It operates at Layer3/4 to provide networking and
security services for a Kubernetes cluster, leveraging
Open vSwitch as the networking data plane.
Open vSwitch is a widely adopted high-performance programmable virtual
switch; Antrea leverages it to implement Pod networking and security features.
For instance, Open vSwitch enables Antrea to implement Kubernetes
Network Policies in a very efficient manner.
Antrea has been tested with Kubernetes clusters running version 1.16 or later.
NodeIPAMController must be enabled in the Kubernetes cluster.\
When deploying a cluster with kubeadm the
option must be specified.
- Open vSwitch kernel module must be present on every Kubernetes node.
Getting started with Antrea is very simple, and takes only a few minutes.
See how it's done in the Getting started document.
The Antrea community welcomes new contributors. We are waiting for your PRs!
Also check out @ProjectAntrea on Twitter!
- Kubernetes-native: Antrea follows best practices to extend the Kubernetes
APIs and provide familiar abstractions to users, while also leveraging
Kubernetes libraries in its own implementation.
- Powered by Open vSwitch: Antrea relies on Open vSwitch to implement all
networking functions, including Kubernetes Service load-balancing, and to
enable hardware offloading in order to support the most demanding workloads.
- Run everywhere: Run Antrea in private clouds, public clouds and on bare
metal, and select the appropriate traffic mode (with or without overlay) based
on your infrastructure and use case.
- Windows Node support: Thanks to the portability of Open vSwitch, Antrea
can use the same data plane implementation on both Linux and Windows
- Comprehensive policy model: Antrea provides a comprehensive network policy
model, which builds upon Kubernetes Network Policies with new features such as
policy tiering, rule priorities and cluster-level policies.
- Troubleshooting and monitoring tools: Antrea comes with CLI and UI tools
which provide visibility and diagnostics capabilities (packet tracing, policy
analysis, flow inspection). It exposes Prometheus metrics and supports
exporting network flow information which can be visualized in Kibana
- Encryption: Encryption of inter-Node Pod traffic with IPsec tunnels when
using an overlay Pod network.
- Easy deployment: Antrea is deployed by applying a single YAML manifest
Refer to the Changelog for a detailed list of features
introduced for each version release.
We are adding features very quickly to Antrea. Check out the list of features we
are considering on our Roadmap page. Feel free to throw your ideas
Antrea is licensed under the Apache License, version 2.0