- Getting Started
- Support for K8s Installers
- Deploying on Kind
- Deploying on Minikube
- Installing with Helm
- Antrea Network Policy
- Traffic Encryption (Ipsec / WireGuard)
- Securing Control Plane
- Security considerations
- OS-specific Known Issues
- OVS Pipeline
- Feature Gates
- Antrea Proxy
- Network Flow Visibility
- Traceflow Guide
- NoEncap and Hybrid Traffic Modes
- Egress Guide
- NodePortLocal Guide
- Antrea IPAM Guide
- Exposing Services of type LoadBalancer
- Traffic Control
- Antrea API Groups
- Antrea API Reference
Prometheus server can monitor various metrics and provide an observation of the Antrea Controller and Agent components. The doc provides general guidelines to the configuration of Prometheus server to operate with the Antrea components.
Prometheus is an open source monitoring and alerting server. Prometheus is capable of collecting metrics from various Kubernetes components, storing and providing alerts. Prometheus can provide visibility by integrating with other products such as Grafana.
One of Prometheus capabilities is self-discovery of Kubernetes services which expose their metrics. So Prometheus can scrape the metrics of any additional components which are added to the cluster without further configuration changes.
Enable Prometheus metrics listener by setting
parameter to true in the Controller and the Agent configurations.
Prometheus integration with Antrea is validated as part of CI using Prometheus v2.19.3.
Prometheus requires access to Kubernetes API resources for the service discovery capability. Reading metrics also requires access to the “/metrics” API endpoints.
apiVersion: rbac.authorization.k8s.io/v1 kind: ClusterRole metadata: name: prometheus rules: - apiGroups: [""] resources: - nodes - nodes/proxy - services - endpoints - pods verbs: ["get", "list", "watch"] - apiGroups: - networking.k8s.io resources: - ingresses verbs: ["get", "list", "watch"] - nonResourceURLs: ["/metrics"] verbs: ["get"]
Antrea Metrics Listener Access
To scrape the metrics from Antrea Controller and Agent, Prometheus needs the following permissions
kind: ClusterRole apiVersion: rbac.authorization.k8s.io/v1 metadata: name: prometheus-antrea rules: - nonResourceURLs: - /metrics verbs: - get
Antrea Components Scraping configuration
Add the following jobs to Prometheus scraping configuration to enable metrics
collection from Antrea components. Antrea Agent metrics endpoint is exposed through
Antrea apiserver on
apiport config parameter given in
value is 10350). Antrea Controller metrics endpoint is exposed through Antrea apiserver
apiport config parameter given in
antrea-controller.conf (default value is 10349).
- job_name: 'antrea-controllers' kubernetes_sd_configs: - role: endpoints scheme: https tls_config: ca_file: /var/run/secrets/kubernetes.io/serviceaccount/ca.crt insecure_skip_verify: true bearer_token_file: /var/run/secrets/kubernetes.io/serviceaccount/token relabel_configs: - source_labels: [__meta_kubernetes_namespace, __meta_kubernetes_pod_container_name] action: keep regex: kube-system;antrea-controller - source_labels: [__meta_kubernetes_pod_node_name, __meta_kubernetes_pod_name] target_label: instance
- job_name: 'antrea-agents' kubernetes_sd_configs: - role: pod scheme: https tls_config: ca_file: /var/run/secrets/kubernetes.io/serviceaccount/ca.crt insecure_skip_verify: true bearer_token_file: /var/run/secrets/kubernetes.io/serviceaccount/token relabel_configs: - source_labels: [__meta_kubernetes_namespace, __meta_kubernetes_pod_container_name] action: keep regex: kube-system;antrea-agent - source_labels: [__meta_kubernetes_pod_node_name, __meta_kubernetes_pod_name] target_label: instance
For further reference see the enclosed configuration file.
The configuration file above can be used to deploy Prometheus Server with
scraping configuration for Antrea services.
To deploy this configuration use
kubectl apply -f build/yamls/antrea-prometheus.yml
Antrea Prometheus Metrics
Antrea Controller and Agents expose various metrics, some of which are provided by the Antrea components and others which are provided by 3rd party components used by the Antrea components.
Below is a list of metrics, provided by the components and by 3rd parties.
Antrea Agent Metrics
- antrea_agent_conntrack_antrea_connection_count: Number of connections in the Antrea ZoneID of the conntrack table. This metric gets updated at an interval specified by flowPollInterval, a configuration parameter for the Agent.
- antrea_agent_conntrack_max_connection_count: Size of the conntrack table. This metric gets updated at an interval specified by flowPollInterval, a configuration parameter for the Agent.
- antrea_agent_conntrack_total_connection_count: Number of connections in the conntrack table. This metric gets updated at an interval specified by flowPollInterval, a configuration parameter for the Agent.
- antrea_agent_denied_connection_count: Number of denied connections detected by Flow Exporter deny connections tracking. This metric gets updated when a flow is rejected/dropped by network policy.
- antrea_agent_egress_networkpolicy_rule_count: Number of egress NetworkPolicy rules on local Node which are managed by the Antrea Agent.
- antrea_agent_flow_collector_reconnection_count: Number of re-connections between Flow Exporter and flow collector. This metric gets updated whenever the connection is re-established between the Flow Exporter and the flow collector (e.g. the Flow Aggregator).
- antrea_agent_ingress_networkpolicy_rule_count: Number of ingress NetworkPolicy rules on local Node which are managed by the Antrea Agent.
- antrea_agent_local_pod_count: Number of Pods on local Node which are managed by the Antrea Agent.
- antrea_agent_networkpolicy_count: Number of NetworkPolicies on local Node which are managed by the Antrea Agent.
- antrea_agent_ovs_flow_count: Flow count for each OVS flow table. The TableID and TableName are used as labels.
- antrea_agent_ovs_flow_ops_count: Number of OVS flow operations, partitioned by operation type (add, modify and delete).
- antrea_agent_ovs_flow_ops_error_count: Number of OVS flow operation errors, partitioned by operation type (add, modify and delete).
- antrea_agent_ovs_flow_ops_latency_milliseconds: The latency of OVS flow operations, partitioned by operation type (add, modify and delete).
- antrea_agent_ovs_meter_packet_dropped_count: Number of packets dropped by OVS meter. The value is greater than 0 when the packets exceed the rate-limit.
- antrea_agent_ovs_total_flow_count: Total flow count of all OVS flow tables.
Antrea Controller Metrics
- antrea_controller_acnp_status_updates: The total number of actual status updates performed for Antrea ClusterNetworkPolicy Custom Resources
- antrea_controller_address_group_processed: The total number of address-group processed
- antrea_controller_address_group_sync_duration_milliseconds: The duration of syncing address-group
- antrea_controller_annp_status_updates: The total number of actual status updates performed for Antrea NetworkPolicy Custom Resources
- antrea_controller_applied_to_group_processed: The total number of applied-to-group processed
- antrea_controller_applied_to_group_sync_duration_milliseconds: The duration of syncing applied-to-group
- antrea_controller_length_address_group_queue: The length of AddressGroupQueue
- antrea_controller_length_applied_to_group_queue: The length of AppliedToGroupQueue
- antrea_controller_length_network_policy_queue: The length of InternalNetworkPolicyQueue
- antrea_controller_network_policy_processed: The total number of internal-networkpolicy processed
- antrea_controller_network_policy_sync_duration_milliseconds: The duration of syncing internal-networkpolicy
Antrea Proxy Metrics
- antrea_proxy_sync_proxy_rules_duration_seconds: SyncProxyRules duration of AntreaProxy in seconds
- antrea_proxy_total_endpoints_installed: The number of Endpoints installed by AntreaProxy
- antrea_proxy_total_endpoints_updates: The cumulative number of Endpoint updates received by AntreaProxy
- antrea_proxy_total_services_installed: The number of Services installed by AntreaProxy
- antrea_proxy_total_services_updates: The cumulative number of Service updates received by AntreaProxy
Common Metrics Provided by Infrastructure
- apiserver_audit_event_total: Counter of audit events generated and sent to the audit backend.
- apiserver_audit_requests_rejected_total: Counter of apiserver requests rejected due to an error in audit logging backend.
- apiserver_client_certificate_expiration_seconds: Distribution of the remaining lifetime on the certificate used to authenticate a request.
- apiserver_current_inflight_requests: Maximal number of currently used inflight request limit of this apiserver per request kind in last second.
- apiserver_delegated_authn_request_duration_seconds: Request latency in seconds. Broken down by status code.
- apiserver_delegated_authn_request_total: Number of HTTP requests partitioned by status code.
- apiserver_delegated_authz_request_duration_seconds: Request latency in seconds. Broken down by status code.
- apiserver_delegated_authz_request_total: Number of HTTP requests partitioned by status code.
- apiserver_envelope_encryption_dek_cache_fill_percent: Percent of the cache slots currently occupied by cached DEKs.
- apiserver_flowcontrol_read_vs_write_current_requests: EXPERIMENTAL: Observations, at the end of every nanosecond, of the number of requests (as a fraction of the relevant limit) waiting or in regular stage of execution
- apiserver_flowcontrol_seat_fair_frac: Fair fraction of server’s concurrency to allocate to each priority level that can use it
- apiserver_longrunning_requests: Gauge of all active long-running apiserver requests broken out by verb, group, version, resource, scope and component. Not all requests are tracked this way.
- apiserver_request_duration_seconds: Response latency distribution in seconds for each verb, dry run value, group, version, resource, subresource, scope and component.
- apiserver_request_filter_duration_seconds: Request filter latency distribution in seconds, for each filter type
- apiserver_request_sli_duration_seconds: Response latency distribution (not counting webhook duration) in seconds for each verb, group, version, resource, subresource, scope and component.
- apiserver_request_slo_duration_seconds: Response latency distribution (not counting webhook duration) in seconds for each verb, group, version, resource, subresource, scope and component.
- apiserver_request_total: Counter of apiserver requests broken out for each verb, dry run value, group, version, resource, scope, component, and HTTP response code.
- apiserver_response_sizes: Response size distribution in bytes for each group, version, verb, resource, subresource, scope and component.
- apiserver_storage_data_key_generation_duration_seconds: Latencies in seconds of data encryption key(DEK) generation operations.
- apiserver_storage_data_key_generation_failures_total: Total number of failed data encryption key(DEK) generation operations.
- apiserver_storage_envelope_transformation_cache_misses_total: Total number of cache misses while accessing key decryption key(KEK).
- apiserver_tls_handshake_errors_total: Number of requests dropped with ‘TLS handshake error from’ error
- apiserver_watch_events_sizes: Watch event size distribution in bytes
- apiserver_watch_events_total: Number of events sent in watch clients
- apiserver_webhooks_x509_insecure_sha1_total: Counts the number of requests to servers with insecure SHA1 signatures in their serving certificate OR the number of connection failures due to the insecure SHA1 signatures (either/or, based on the runtime environment)
- apiserver_webhooks_x509_missing_san_total: Counts the number of requests to servers missing SAN extension in their serving certificate OR the number of connection failures due to the lack of x509 certificate SAN extension missing (either/or, based on the runtime environment)
- authenticated_user_requests: Counter of authenticated requests broken out by username.
- authentication_attempts: Counter of authenticated attempts.
- authentication_duration_seconds: Authentication duration in seconds broken out by result.
- disabled_metric_total: The count of disabled metrics.
- field_validation_request_duration_seconds: Response latency distribution in seconds for each field validation value and whether field validation is enabled or not
- go_cgo_go_to_c_calls_calls_total: Count of calls made from Go to C by the current process.
- go_gc_cycles_automatic_gc_cycles_total: Count of completed GC cycles generated by the Go runtime.
- go_gc_cycles_forced_gc_cycles_total: Count of completed GC cycles forced by the application.
- go_gc_cycles_total_gc_cycles_total: Count of all completed GC cycles.
- go_gc_duration_seconds: A summary of the pause duration of garbage collection cycles.
- go_gc_heap_allocs_by_size_bytes: Distribution of heap allocations by approximate size. Note that this does not include tiny objects as defined by /gc/heap/tiny/allocs:objects, only tiny blocks.
- go_gc_heap_allocs_bytes_total: Cumulative sum of memory allocated to the heap by the application.
- go_gc_heap_allocs_objects_total: Cumulative count of heap allocations triggered by the application. Note that this does not include tiny objects as defined by /gc/heap/tiny/allocs:objects, only tiny blocks.
- go_gc_heap_frees_by_size_bytes: Distribution of freed heap allocations by approximate size. Note that this does not include tiny objects as defined by /gc/heap/tiny/allocs:objects, only tiny blocks.
- go_gc_heap_frees_bytes_total: Cumulative sum of heap memory freed by the garbage collector.
- go_gc_heap_frees_objects_total: Cumulative count of heap allocations whose storage was freed by the garbage collector. Note that this does not include tiny objects as defined by /gc/heap/tiny/allocs:objects, only tiny blocks.
- go_gc_heap_goal_bytes: Heap size target for the end of the GC cycle.
- go_gc_heap_objects_objects: Number of objects, live or unswept, occupying heap memory.
- go_gc_heap_tiny_allocs_objects_total: Count of small allocations that are packed together into blocks. These allocations are counted separately from other allocations because each individual allocation is not tracked by the runtime, only their block. Each block is already accounted for in allocs-by-size and frees-by-size.
- go_gc_limiter_last_enabled_gc_cycle: GC cycle the last time the GC CPU limiter was enabled. This metric is useful for diagnosing the root cause of an out-of-memory error, because the limiter trades memory for CPU time when the GC’s CPU time gets too high. This is most likely to occur with use of SetMemoryLimit. The first GC cycle is cycle 1, so a value of 0 indicates that it was never enabled.
- go_gc_pauses_seconds: Distribution individual GC-related stop-the-world pause latencies.
- go_gc_stack_starting_size_bytes: The stack size of new goroutines.
- go_goroutines: Number of goroutines that currently exist.
- go_info: Information about the Go environment.
- go_memory_classes_heap_free_bytes: Memory that is completely free and eligible to be returned to the underlying system, but has not been. This metric is the runtime’s estimate of free address space that is backed by physical memory.
- go_memory_classes_heap_objects_bytes: Memory occupied by live objects and dead objects that have not yet been marked free by the garbage collector.
- go_memory_classes_heap_released_bytes: Memory that is completely free and has been returned to the underlying system. This metric is the runtime’s estimate of free address space that is still mapped into the process, but is not backed by physical memory.
- go_memory_classes_heap_stacks_bytes: Memory allocated from the heap that is reserved for stack space, whether or not it is currently in-use.
- go_memory_classes_heap_unused_bytes: Memory that is reserved for heap objects but is not currently used to hold heap objects.
- go_memory_classes_metadata_mcache_free_bytes: Memory that is reserved for runtime mcache structures, but not in-use.
- go_memory_classes_metadata_mcache_inuse_bytes: Memory that is occupied by runtime mcache structures that are currently being used.
- go_memory_classes_metadata_mspan_free_bytes: Memory that is reserved for runtime mspan structures, but not in-use.
- go_memory_classes_metadata_mspan_inuse_bytes: Memory that is occupied by runtime mspan structures that are currently being used.
- go_memory_classes_metadata_other_bytes: Memory that is reserved for or used to hold runtime metadata.
- go_memory_classes_os_stacks_bytes: Stack memory allocated by the underlying operating system.
- go_memory_classes_other_bytes: Memory used by execution trace buffers, structures for debugging the runtime, finalizer and profiler specials, and more.
- go_memory_classes_profiling_buckets_bytes: Memory that is used by the stack trace hash map used for profiling.
- go_memory_classes_total_bytes: All memory mapped by the Go runtime into the current process as read-write. Note that this does not include memory mapped by code called via cgo or via the syscall package. Sum of all metrics in /memory/classes.
- go_memstats_alloc_bytes: Number of bytes allocated and still in use.
- go_memstats_alloc_bytes_total: Total number of bytes allocated, even if freed.
- go_memstats_buck_hash_sys_bytes: Number of bytes used by the profiling bucket hash table.
- go_memstats_frees_total: Total number of frees.
- go_memstats_gc_sys_bytes: Number of bytes used for garbage collection system metadata.
- go_memstats_heap_alloc_bytes: Number of heap bytes allocated and still in use.
- go_memstats_heap_idle_bytes: Number of heap bytes waiting to be used.
- go_memstats_heap_inuse_bytes: Number of heap bytes that are in use.
- go_memstats_heap_objects: Number of allocated objects.
- go_memstats_heap_released_bytes: Number of heap bytes released to OS.
- go_memstats_heap_sys_bytes: Number of heap bytes obtained from system.
- go_memstats_last_gc_time_seconds: Number of seconds since 1970 of last garbage collection.
- go_memstats_lookups_total: Total number of pointer lookups.
- go_memstats_mallocs_total: Total number of mallocs.
- go_memstats_mcache_inuse_bytes: Number of bytes in use by mcache structures.
- go_memstats_mcache_sys_bytes: Number of bytes used for mcache structures obtained from system.
- go_memstats_mspan_inuse_bytes: Number of bytes in use by mspan structures.
- go_memstats_mspan_sys_bytes: Number of bytes used for mspan structures obtained from system.
- go_memstats_next_gc_bytes: Number of heap bytes when next garbage collection will take place.
- go_memstats_other_sys_bytes: Number of bytes used for other system allocations.
- go_memstats_stack_inuse_bytes: Number of bytes in use by the stack allocator.
- go_memstats_stack_sys_bytes: Number of bytes obtained from system for stack allocator.
- go_memstats_sys_bytes: Number of bytes obtained from system.
- go_sched_gomaxprocs_threads: The current runtime.GOMAXPROCS setting, or the number of operating system threads that can execute user-level Go code simultaneously.
- go_sched_goroutines_goroutines: Count of live goroutines.
- go_sched_latencies_seconds: Distribution of the time goroutines have spent in the scheduler in a runnable state before actually running.
- go_threads: Number of OS threads created.
- hidden_metric_total: The count of hidden metrics.
- process_cpu_seconds_total: Total user and system CPU time spent in seconds.
- process_max_fds: Maximum number of open file descriptors.
- process_open_fds: Number of open file descriptors.
- process_resident_memory_bytes: Resident memory size in bytes.
- process_start_time_seconds: Start time of the process since unix epoch in seconds.
- process_virtual_memory_bytes: Virtual memory size in bytes.
- process_virtual_memory_max_bytes: Maximum amount of virtual memory available in bytes.
- registered_metric_total: The count of registered metrics broken by stability level and deprecation version.
- workqueue_adds_total: Total number of adds handled by workqueue
- workqueue_depth: Current depth of workqueue
- workqueue_longest_running_processor_seconds: How many seconds has the longest running processor for workqueue been running.
- workqueue_queue_duration_seconds: How long in seconds an item stays in workqueue before being requested.
- workqueue_retries_total: Total number of retries handled by workqueue
- workqueue_unfinished_work_seconds: How many seconds of work has done that is in progress and hasn’t been observed by work_duration. Large values indicate stuck threads. One can deduce the number of stuck threads by observing the rate at which this increases.
- workqueue_work_duration_seconds: How long in seconds processing an item from workqueue takes.